Parent Hacks for Distance Learning
We're all doing the best we can for our kids and these Parent Hacks are proof. Have one to share? Share it with us in our Suggestion Box and we'll add it to the list! Let's face it, we need all the help we can get during distance learning.
- When in doubt RESTART (the app, the tablet, the Chromebook)
- The Zoom drop down saves the teacher's Zoom code with their name - huge time saver!
- Zoom lagging? Sound like you are under water? Turn off your camera for a better connection and experience. But let your teacher know so they aren't looking for your child.
- Bookmarks! When logging in to Chrome is a hassle or the NMUSD bookmark toolbar button is not displaying for you, create your own toolbar! Add all the links you need to your own bookmark toolbar for quick access for all the kids. Make a separate one for each child, if needed.
- Google Suite Dashboard (GSuite) - For even quicker access to NMUSD apps that your older kids need, bookmark the GSuite Dashboard. You'll need to log in to your child's account through the Google login and will see this screen, once you are logged in.
- Have a little wiggler? Focus hard to find during Zoom sessions?Put a step stool at your child’s feet so they feel more grounded. The chairs and desks at school are just the right size for an effective learning environment. The kitchen table or a regular desk may be too high for them and they get uncomfortable with their legs swinging which is why they wiggle. The step makes them feel more grounded. For more tips, visit Seating Tips for Distance Learning.
- Seesaw tip - Save Draft: If you are working on a seesaw assignment and need to stop before it’s finished, click the Orange “draft” check mark. Then you can come back to it later to finish.
Need Internet Access?
Getting Internet Access - Available Plans
Chromebook giving you grief? Forget your NMUSD user ID and passcode to get logged in? That’s IT Support! The school district’s IT team is ready to help you.
For all parent and student IT support needs, please call the NMUSD Support and Care Line at 714-424-5050, option 1 on that line will connect to a technology Help Desk between 7:30AM and 3:30PM. You may also email email@example.com for assistance.
Tech Center Suggestion Box
The PFO has set up a Technology team to provide support to Kaiser and Woodland families distance learning and we want to know how to best help you. Follow the link below to submit questions and concerns. Our tech team is passionate about discussing these issues with school leadership, finding solutions, and communicating back to you! Parents, school helpers, teachers and staff are all welcome to submit thoughts. Your submissions can be anonymous or you may include your name on the form.